I recently had the pleasure of spending a few days in sunny Singapore training the marketing teams of Adecco Asia on using LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and beyond.
This is LinkedIn’s fastest growing region and there are more Facebook users in Asia than any other continent. As for Twitter, the top 2 cities in the world in terms of posted tweets are Jakarta and Tokyo (followed by London).
- Twitter is massive in Japan, possibly because you can stay anonymous on the platform
- Facebook is huge in Taiwan, more than half of the population are using it
- The English language is fine for professional communication online, however the more campus/graduate focused the conversations are, the more I would recommend using local languages
- Asian social media audiences seem to be more responsive and provide more engagement than in Europe
- Any candidate looking for an international career and/or with a large company will have a LinkedIn profile, however it may not contain deep data
Adecco are doing great things already in terms of social media and watch this space for the world’s leading recruitment company also taking the lead online.
Here is a good summary blog post by Kanda Supawasin who heads up Adecco Thailand’s marketing efforts – if you don’t read Thai I recommend you use the Chrome browser which will translate for you!
Finally, I managed to take the lift up the Marina Bay Sands hotel to enjoy the view and share how people pronounce the word ‘LinkedIn’ in Singapore: