The organisers of Personal Branding Day in Italy asked me to talk about how Personal Branding is perceived here in the UK. Here’s roughly what I have to say in this video:
- I started taking an interest in Personal Branding about 3 years ago. After having done recruitment for many years I realised that some candidates never needed the help of a recruiter – employers and clients were always screaming out for them.
- I know that it works but the actual concept is still struggling a little bit here in England.
- Blowing one’s own trumpet is not a British tradition – it’s slightly more stereotypical American
- With the recession we’re in, people realise they have to look after their brand to get new opportunities
- The Personal Branding industry in the UK is fragmented, you get style consultants, social media types (like myself), personal development coaches and life coaches
- Celebrities and CEOs will have Personal PR companies, who do tweeting and blogging on behalf of the individuals
- There is definitely a realisation that one has to market oneself, whether you want to call it Personal Branding or not
I’d love to hear more about what you think of Personal Branding in the UK and other places so please leave a comment!